Getting a Iowa Medical Marijuana Card online is a process that involves speaking with a doctor and filling out some online paperwork with the state. To become a Iowa medical marijuana patient, you can first talk with one of our doctors to see if you qualify and we will help you through the application process.
Before you begin the process, it is first important to understand if you have a qualifying condition for a medical marijuana card. Here are some conditions that may qualify you for the program:
- Chronic pain
- Cancer – if the illness or its treatment produces one or more of the following: severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting.
- Crohn’s disease
- Multiple Sclerosis with severe and persistent muscle spasms
- AIDS or HIV (as defined in Iowa Code, section 141A.1)
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Any terminal illness with a probable life expectancy of under one year – if the illness or its treatment produces one or more of the following: severe or chronic pain, nausea or severe vomiting, cachexia or severe wasting
- Ulcerative colitis
- Severe, intractable pediatric autism with self-injurious or aggressive behaviors
- Severe, intractable autism with self-injurious or aggressive behaviors
- Corticobasal Degeneration
When registering with the state after your appointment, you’ll need to provide one of the following (unexpired) to prove residency:
- Iowa Driver’s License
- Iowa State ID Card
Talk to our doctors to get your Iowa medical marijuana card online
Simply visit prestodoctor.com to schedule your secure video chat appointment and talk to one of our board-certified doctors to get your medical marijuana recommendation letter. We generally have same-day appointments available, or you can schedule an appointment in the future.
After you are approved by one of our doctors:
Once the doctor approves you for medical cannabis, we will send a signed healthcare practitioner certification after your appointment is completed. Once you’ve received your patient certification from our doctors, you will need to fill out an online patient application for the medical marijuana program on the Iowa State website. We will also send step-by-step instructions on how to do this, post-appointment, via email.
Iowa State Application Fee:
Once you have completed the Online Patient Registration online application, submitted the practitioner certification form and all other required documentation (Iowa ID), the online application fee must be paid to the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH)
Also, be advised that these state application fees are separate from PrestoDoctor appointment fees.
- Standard application fees are $100
- Reduced Application Fee is $25 (would need to include either, a copy of a Social Security Disability Benefit notice/SSDI notice, or a copy of proof of reciept of Supplemental Security Income Payment / SSI receipt, or a copy of a Iowa Medicaid member card, or a copy of Hawk-I member card)
Once approved, the IDPH will send out a temporary card via email, and your physical medical card to the address listed in your state application.
Questions for the Iowa Department of Public Health?
Contact Form: The state offers a direct contact for for assistance, https://idph.iowa.gov/Contact-Us/Response-Method/subject/45